Supplementary Reading, CAP 5510, Spring 2007
- Popular Articles
- Introductory Molecular Biology
- Human Genome Program, U.S. Department of Energy,
Primer on Molecular Genetics, Washington, D.C.,
1992. Prepared by Denise Casey, Human Genome Management Information
System, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, for the 1991-92 DOE Human
Genome Program Report.
- An animated primer
on the basics of DNA, genes, and heredity., 2002 Merlot
- Dolan DNA Learning Center
Multimedia Guides to Molecular Biology.
- DNA seen
through the eyes of a coder
About the Human Genome Project
- (Publicly Funded) Human
Genome Draft and Nature Website
- Multimedia Presentations and descriptions of many Molecular Biology
techniques and concepts: The
Human Genome Project
- Original BLAST paper by Altschul, Gish, Miller, Myers, and
Lipman Basic Local
Alignment Search Tool, J. Mol. Biol. (1990) 215, 403-410.
- How to use BLAST:
BLAST information. Also includes a tutorial on BLAST,
and a lot of related material.
- How BLAST works: Chapter titled
The BLAST Sequence Analysis Tool, by Tom Madden from
- Tutorial on
The Statistics of Sequence Similarity Scores, by
- Recent paper on BLAST by McGinnis and Madden: BLAST: at the core
of a powerful and diverse set of sequence analysis tools,
Nucleic Acids Res. 2004, 32(Web Server issue):W20-5.
- BLAST variants: Paper by Altschul, Madden, Schaffer, Zhang,
Zhang, Miller, Lipman Gapped BLAST and
PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs
, Nucl. Acids Res. (1997) 25:3389-3402.
- Hidden Markov Models
- An excellent treatment of Hidden Markov Models can be found
in the book "Biological Sequence Analysis", by Durbin,
Eddy, Krogh, Mitchison, Cambridge University Press,
1998. In particular, chapters 1-3 introduce the
basics. Applications to sequence alignments can be found
in chapters 4-6. It also has a chapter on the relevant
"Background on Probability" (chapter 11), which I also
recommend very highly.
Last modified: Sun Jan 16 2011