COT 5407: Introduction to Algorithms -- Spring 2017
Class: Room ECS 143; TuTh: 6:25 to 7:40 PM
Office: ECS 254A; Phone: (305) 348-3748;
Office Hours: Mon 4-5 PM; Thu 5-6 PM
COURSE MOODLE WEBSITE: COT5407SP17U01
- Jan 30: I have placed a sample LaTeX file on your moodle
page. This is for those of you who want to learn more about LaTeX.
- Jan 25: Reminder that your HW #2 is due tomorrow.
- Jan 25: Sample homework solution is now available on the moodle website.
- Jan 24: Office Hours have been announced. Please see me
during those hours or set up a different meeting time by email.
- Jan 24: The moodle site is up and alive. From this point
onward, please follow the link above for all course information.
- Jan 19: Homework #2 is ready. See below. It is due in a
week. Needless to say, the same guidelines apply to all
homework assignments, including the statement of honesty.
- Jan 12: Homework #1 is ready. See below. It is due in a
week. You must first read the guidelines for homework
Don't forget to insert in your submission a statement of honesty.
- Jan 12: HW 1 [pdf]; First
read the submission Guidelines
- Jan 19: HW 2 [pdf];
- Jan 25: Sample Solution [pdf];
LECTURE TRANSPARENCIES & REQUIRED READING
- Jan 10: Lecture 1 [pdf]; Read Chapter 1 from CLRS [Cormen et al. text]
- Jan 12: Lecture 2 [pdf]; Read Chapters 2 & 3 from CLRS
- Jan 17: Lecture 3 [pdf]; Read Sec 4.4, 4.5 & 7.1 from CLRS
- Jan 19: Lecture 4 [pdf]; Read Chapters 7, 8, &
6 from CLRS
- SEE MOODLE SITE!
"Introduction to Algorithms", (Third Edition) by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein
[ISBN 0-262-03384-8] (MIT Press)
This book is published by both MIT Press and McGraw Hill Publishers with different
ISBN numbers! Both versions have the exact same content. You may want to find a
copy with a CD-ROM containing Java implementations of the algorithms from the book.
Other Useful Books
- Algorithm Design, by Kleinberg and Tardos.
- Computer Algorithms S. Baase and A. van Gelder, 3rd
Edition, Addison Wesley, 2000. ISBN: 0-201-61244-5.
- Algorithms in C++ (Parts 1-4; Part 5), by Sedgewick
- Data Structures, Algorithms, and Applications in Java, by Sahni.
- Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of
NP-Completeness, by M. Garey and D.S. Johnson, 1979
(Publishers: W. H Freeman and Company).
- Approximation Algorithms for NP-hard Problems, by Dorit Hochbaum,
PWS Publishing Co., 1997.
- Computational Geometry, by de Berg, van Kreveld,
- Randomized Algorithms, by Motwani and
- Algorithm on Strings, Trees, and Sequences, by Gusfield
- Handbook of Discrete and Computational
Geometry, by Goodman and O'Rourke
- Combinatorial Optimization, by
Papadimitriou and Steiglitz
- Algorithms, by Dasgupta, Papadimitriou, and Vazirani
- Recurrence Relations and Analysis of Algorithms
- Incremental and Divide-and-Conquer Algorithms
- Sorting and Order Statistics
- Lower Bound Arguments
- Basic data structures: trees, hash tables, priority queues, union/find
- Graphs & Graph Algorithms
- Dynamic Programming & Greedy Algorithms
- String and Geometric Algorithms
- Experimental Algorithmics
Last modified: Mon Jan 30 11:37:22 EST 2017